25 Years and rolling...
We want to convert the world to cycling
- whatever style you wish
Our story starts in the mid 1980s when our founder Andy, visited Copenhagen. A few days biking and strolling around the city with a native guide had a profound impact on him . Urban life in the 70s and 80s, was synonymous in the public imagination with noise, pollution, blight and decay, at least in the UK, but this was not what he experienced there. Being free to enjoy all the excitements of a capital city, but to do so in public spaces that felt so relaxed was a revelation to him. It it was clear at the time that there was one standout factor: the people of Copenhagen were not car-dependent - they got about on foot, by bicycle and by public transport. It was self-evident that this had a massive impact on the quality of life in that in that city and that everyone was the beneficiary of this. Seeing the city from the saddle of a bicycle, begged the question - why can't everywhere be like this? He become an instant convert, so the road to Cycle Heaven began in Copehhagen.* To this day Cycle Heaven has been very advocacy-driven and we are strong supporters of the York Cycle Campaign.
So one thing that you will find at Cycle Heaven is decent city bikes. But, as a shop we are also committed to a diverse culture of cycling. The depth and breadth of our staff's cycling experience inform the kind of products and advice that we offer and as we all ride lots of different bikes we have no time for the artificial boundaries between your cycling 'types' or 'tribes'. At Cycle Heaven there's something for everyone: for the real 'bikies' among us, who might only want to buy a frame and self-build; to the everyday rider who cares nothing about the components - as long as it works and comes in the right colour.
We want to convert the world to cycling...
- whatever style, speed or colour that you wish! There's room for everyone in Cycle Heaven.
We were established in 1993 and we’re friendly, approachable, very experienced and highly professional. We want you to cycle away on your perfect bike and we’ll offer sound, down to earth advice to make sure that happens - whether you want to spend £300 or £3000. We are so confident about the quality of our bikes that we give away an unbeatable one year's free servicing on all our new bikes. We care passionately about our business, our community and the future of cycling. We are not a here-today-gone-tomorrow, private-equity-funded-corporate, with revolving-door-directors; but an independent retailer - run by people who live and work here, so if you have any problems you can speak to the owners. We'll give you the straight stuff. That's a promise.
*BTW: Copenhagen has increased cycle journeys by over 50% since the 1980s!
Our Service Standards
- A Broad Church. Because we offer such a broad range of different types of bike, we'll make no assumptions about your needs. You tell us. (We're sorry about the lack of MTBs BTW).
- The Straight Stuff. We'll always be straight with you as long as you're straight with us. And we'll always give you our honest opinion about a product - what it's good for and what it's not!
- No Quibbles Guarantee. If you are not happy with the bike we sold you, then we'll change it - as long as you get back to us within a reasonable time.
- One Year's Free Servicing. In addition to the manufacturer's warranties you will get a year's free labour on all our bikes. This includes routine services and repairs, but not major specification cahnges.
- Ride before you buy. Please... we insist!
The buck stops where?
If you have any suggestions, complaints, or gripes, that you feel are not being satisfactorily handled, you can ask for one of the partners.
It stops here: Piers Maffett or Andy Shrimpton. You can email us on: email@example.com
Cycle Heaven - Fulford